- Anderson E.S., The ecology of transferable drug resistance in the enterobacteria, Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 22 (1968) 131-180 [PubMed].
- Anonymous, DANMAP 99, Consumption of antimicrobial agents and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from food and humans in Denmark, ISSN1600-2032. The report is also available on http://www.svs.dk/uk/Organization/Frm_org.htm.
- Caprioli A., Busani L., Martel J.-L., Helmuth R., Monitoring of antibiotic resistance in bacteria of animal origin: epidemiological and microbiological methodologies, Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 14 (2000) 295-301 [PubMed].
- Chaslus-Dancla E., Lafont J.-P., Martel J.L., Spread of resistance from food animals to man: the French experience, Proceedings of the Symposium on Antibiotic Resistance with Emphasis on Animal-Human Transfer hold in Falkenberg, Sweden, 13-14 September 1999, Acta Vet. Scand. Suppl. 93 (2000) 53-61 [PubMed].
- Comité de l'Antibiogramme de la Société Française de Microbiologie (CASFM), Communiqué 2000-2001, pp. 1-46. On http://www.sfm.asso.fr/Wfr.html (http://www.sfm.asso.fr/Sect4/com2001.pdf).
- Council Directive 70/524/EEC of 23 November 1970 concerning additives in feeding-stuffs, Official Journal L270, 14/12/1970, pp. 1-17.
- Council Directive 81/851/EEC of 28 September 1981 on the approximation of the laws of the Member states relating to veterinary medicinal products, Official Journal L317, 06/11/1981.
- Council Directive 81/852/EEC of 28 September 1981 on the approximation of the laws of the Member states relating to analytical, pharmaco-toxicological and clinical standards and protocols in respect of the testing of veterinary medicinal products, Official Journal L317 of 6 Nov 1981, Amended by Council Directive 87/20/EEC, 92/18/EEC and 93/40/EEC.
- Council Directive 87/153/EEC of 16 February 1987 fixing guidelines for the assessment of additives in animal nutrition, Official Journal L064, 7/3/87, 19-28. amended by Commission Directive 95/11/EC, Council Directive 96/51/EC.
- Council Regulation N° 2377/90 of 16 June 1990 laying down a Community procedure for the establishment of maximum residue limits of veterinary medicinal products in foodstuffs of animal origin, Official Journal L224, 18/8/1990, pp. 138-144.
- Council Regulation N° 2821/98 of 17 December 1998 amending, as regards withdrawal of the authorisation of certain antibiotics, Directive 70/524/EEC concerning additives in feeding stuffs, Official Journal L351, 29/12/1998, pp. 4-8.
- Council Resolution of 8 June 1999 on antibiotic resistance `A strategy against the microbial threat', Official Journal C 195, 13/07/1999, pp. 1-3.
- Decision N° 2119/98/EC of the European parlament and of the council of 24 September 1998 setting up a network for the epidemiological surveillance and control of communicable diseases in the Community.
- EMEA: European Agency for Evaluation of Medicinal Products, Antibiotic resistance in the European Union associated with therapeutic use of veterinary medicines, Report and qualitative risk assessment by the committee for veterinary medicinal products, 1999, EMEA/CVMP/342/99.
- Ericsson H.M., Sherris J.C. Antibiotic sensitivity testing. Report of an international collaborative study, Acta Pathol. Microbiol. Scand. B Suppl. 217 (1971) 1-90.
- European Commission (1995) The Rules Governing Medicinal Products in the European Union. Volume VII - Guidelines for the testing of Veterinary Medicinal Products. December 1994, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg.
- European Commission (1999) Opinion of the Scientific Steering Committee on Antimicrobial Resistance, Directorate-General XXIV, Consumer Policy and Consumer Health Protection Directorate B - Scientific Health Opinions Unit B3- Management of scientific committees II, 1999. Can be downloaded on http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/fs/sc/ssc/out50_en.html.
- FDA, Center for Veterinary Medicine, An approach for establishing thresholds in association with the use of antimicrobial drugs in Food Producing animals (2000), On http://www.fda.gov/cvm/antimicrobial/antimicrobial.html.
- FDA, Enrofloxacin for poultry: Opportunity for hearing, Federal register 65 (2000) 64954-64965.
- Giraud E., Brisabois A., Martel J.-L., Chaslus-Dancla E., Comparative studies of mutations in animals isolates and experimental in-vitro and in-vivo mutants of Salmonella spp. suggest a counterselection of highly fluoroquinolone resistant strains in the field, Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 43 (1999) 2131-2137 [PubMed].
- Gnanou J.C., Sanders P., Antibiotic resistance in bacteria of animal origin: methods in use to monitor resistance in EU countries, Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 15 (2000) 311-322 [PubMed].
- Martel, J.-L., Tardy F., Brisabois A., Lailler R., Coudert M., Chaslus-Dancla E., The French antibiotic resistance monotoring programs, Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 14 (2000) 275-283 [PubMed].
- Monnet D.L., Toward multinational antimicrobial resistance surveillance systems in Europe, Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 15 (2000) 91-101 [PubMed].
- NCCLS, Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk and Dilution susceptibility tests for bacteria isolated from animals; approved standard, NCCLS document M31-A, vol. 17, n° 11, pp. 1-60. NCCLS, Wayne, PA, USA, 1999.
- Neu H.C., The crisis of antibiotic resistance, Science 257 (1992) 1064-1073 [CrossRef].
- Swann M., Report of the Joint Committee on the Use of Antibiotics in Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medecine, London: Her Majesty's Stationary Office, London, UK, 1969.
- Van den Bogaard A.E., Stobberingh E.E., Antibiotic usage in animals - Impact on bacterial resistance and public health, Drugs 58 (1999) 589-607 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Van den Bogaard A.E., Stobberingh E.E., Epidemiology of resistance to antibiotics. Links between animals and humans, Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 14 (2000) 327-335 [PubMed].
- World Health Organisation, WHO Technical Report Series n° 624, Surveillance for the Prevention and Control of Health Hazards Due to Antibiotic-Resistant Drugs, 1978, 60 p.
- World Health Organisation, WHO global principles for the containment of antimicrobial resistance in animals intended for food. Geneva, Switzerland, 5-9 June 2000. Report of a WHO consultation, Annexe 1: Glossary, pp. 9-11.
- Wierup M., Preventive methods replace antibiotic growth promoters: ten years experience from Sweden, APUA Newsl. 14 (1998) 1-4.
- Wray C., Gnanou J.C., Antibiotic resistance monitoring in bacteria of animal origin: analysis of national monitoring programmes, Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 14 (2000) 291-294 [PubMed].
Volume 32, Number 3-4, May-August 2001Mechanisms of resistance to antibiotics in animal and zoonotic pathogens
|Page(s)||381 - 392|
|How to cite this article||Vet. Res. (2001) 381-392|